The DiVine Dome is situated in the beautiful rural countryside just outside Hucknall in Nottinghamshire.
Hucknall is a small town 10 miles from Nottingham. There is a bus stop half a mile walk down the lane taking you into Hucknall.
The Tram goes from Nottingham railway station or city centre, and the nearest tram stop to us is Moor Bridge or Hucknall station.
A short taxi ride can bring you to DiVine where access is via a field gate and key lock door entry.
The nearest motorway junction is 27 on the M1 and parking is available for two cars alongside the Dome.
Nottingham is in the center of the country and therefore easily accessible from North or South London in two or three hours by car, from Birmingham in one hour and Manchester two hours.
There are some small local shops a mile walk from the lane.
Please see the visitors book on arrival for information on local amenities and places to visit.
Hucknall was once a thriving market town. Its focal point is the parish church of St. Mary Magdalene next to the town’s market square. The church was built by the Anglo-Saxons and completed after the Norman Conquest, though much of it was restored in the Victorian era. The medieval church consisted only of a chancel, nave, north aisle and tower, but the changes in the Victorian area considerably enlarged it. There are 25 fine stained-glass windows by Charles Eamer Kempe, added mostly in the 1880s. There is a modest memorial to Lord Byron.
From 1295 until 1915, the town was known as Hucknall Torkard, taken from Torcard, the name of a dominant landowning family. Signs of the old name can still be seen on some of the older buildings.
During the 19th and 20th centuries, coal was discovered and mined heavily throughout the Leen Valley, which includes Hucknall. This brought increased wealth to the town, along with the construction of three railway lines.
It was historically a centre for framework knitting and then for mining, but is now a focus for other industries and a dormitory town for Nottingham. It was the site where Rolls-Royce made the first demonstration of a vertical take-off plane. It is also the final resting place of Lord Byron in 1824 and of his estranged daughter, the mathematician and pioneer computer programmer Ada Lovelace in 1852.
The local villages of Papplewick and Linby
Papplewick, of Saxon origin, was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Augustinian canons were granted Papplewick in the late C12. The manor, rectory, and advowson of Papplewick formed part of the Newstead estate which was bought by Sir John Byron in 1540.
Papplewick hall was built by Frederick Montagu MP between 1781-86, following his retirement from public life in London. He demolished a much older house on the site, formerly occupied by his parents, inherited by him in his twenties – the stables and cellar of which survive to this day.
The land on which the Hall is situate was, previously, one of the more important farms on the Newstead Estate; and the Newstate Estate was, of course, at the heart of Sherwood Forrest.
The Priory of Newstead retained control of Papplewick village for 400 years. On 21st July 1539, the twelve Canons remaining surrendered the property to Herny VIII’s agent, Sir Joh Byron. By Grant dated 28th May 1540, Sir John Byron bought Newstead and its environs, including Papplewick and Linby, for £810. Papplewick remained in the Byron family until the early 1700s
A local legend dictates that the body of Alan-a-Dale, one of Robin Hood’s men, was buried in Papplewick. Robin Hood’s Stable (Ordnance Survey), a cavern in the grounds of “The Hermitage,” has been thought to be one of the old rock cells of a hermit; and that through this the village got its name. (From the Norse, PAPIL a priest).
In his book on Nottingham Castle, H. Gill speaks of a meeting between Henry II and Eustace, the holy hermit of Papplewick, a meeting which he says resulted in the founding of Newstead, called thus to distinguish it from the Old Stead in Longdale.
The village, deemed a Conservation Area, retains much of its picturesque character, with streams, known as the Linby Docks, flowing down each side of the main street and local stone built cottages. The church of St Michael is much restored, but dates back to the 13th century. There are two crosses in the village – the Top Cross, was originally medieval and the Bottom Cross probably erected around 1660 to celebrate the restoration of King Charles II.
Linby Hall is a section of an original medieval great hall with numerous stone outbuildings one of which is “The Old Dovecote”, there is also a water wheel and associated milling equipment at the rear of the hall. The original stone built school is now known as “Hanson House” and is the County Girl Guide Centre.
A local legend claims that the pancake was invented by the women of the village, to celebrate the defeat of Danish invaders who had enslaved them.
Places to visit
Discover the Romance & Mystery of Lord Byron’s Home.
Newstead Abbey is a beautiful historic house set in a glorious landscape of gardens and parkland within the heart of Nottinghamshire. It was formerly an Augustinian priory and converted to a domestic home following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it is now best known as the ancestral home of Lord Byron between 1808 – 1814. Inside the Abbey there is much to explore including Victorian room settings and the poets private apartments.
The delightful gardens and parkland at Newstead Abbey cover more than 300 acres with paths that meander past lakes, ponds and waterfalls. The formal gardens are the perfect place to relax and offer something in all seasons from the bright colours of the rhododendrons in late spring to the Japanese maples in autumn.
DH Lawrence’s country
8a Victoria St
Visit the house where DH Lawrence was born, the DH Lawrence Birthplace Museum, and find out about his family history and how the local area influenced his writing. Follow the Blue Line Trail in his footsteps and see first-hand many of the places which feature in his work.
Wollaton Hall is an Elizabethan country house of the 1580s standing on a small but prominent hill in Wollaton Park. The house is now a Natural History Museum, with Nottingham Industrial Museum in the outbuildings.
It is set in five hundred acres of spectacular gardens and beautiful parkland open to the public. The hall was used as the setting for Wayne Manor in the 2012 Batman film, Dark Knight Rises. Opening times and costs can be found in the link above.